I read a lot. And by a lot, I mean I read at least a book a night. Yes, I read fast, always have. And I read fast with comprehension — just ask my Developmental Reading teacher back in seventh grade. I was a reading machine.
I read for relaxation — for comfort.
Something about sitting down with a new book by a favorite author, or a much-loved and previously read book, turns my “work-day” brain off and allows me to slow down and get ready for sleep.
Since I am extremely picky about what I read, and my favorite authors don’t write as fast as I would like–and where have I heard that before? :)–I tend to have “go-to” comfort reads; certain authors and their books I have read many, many times but can always re-read and still enjoy them as much as I did the first time.
Here are some of my favorite comfort reads; please share some of yours, who knows? — I might find something “new” to read one of these nights.
- Jayne Ann Krentz books (and all her various pen names). — I own and have read every JAK book (that includes all her pen names), but for five books I could not find at a reasonable price anywhere. The books take up four shelves in my house, and that is with me stacking them in piles three deep, back to front. My “go-to” re-reads (the books are falling apart!) are Wildest Hearts, Gift of Fire, and Gift of Gold.
- Linda Howard’s Mackenzie books.–All of them.
- Elizabeth Lowell. — The Wrong Hostage, Innocent as Sin, Blue Smoke and Murder, Death Echo, the Donovan books (Pearl Cove, Amber Beach, Jade Island, and Midnight in Ruby Bayou).
- J.D. Robb in Death series. — All of them. I re-read them once a year from Book One through the most recent release. Better than her Nora Roberts’ books (and I have read many of those in my time) hands down.
- Tina Whittle Tai Randolph mystery series — There are only two books out now; a new one is due out in 2013, I’ve pre-ordered it! I can’t describe why I like this series, well, yes I can — a damaged sexy as hell hero, a quirky heroine, and a perfect setting in and around Atlanta. I read them in e-books and then went and bought the trade paperbacks, that’s how much I liked them. They are published by small mystery press, Poisoned Pen Press.
- Thea Harrison’s Dragon Bound. — I have two copies, so when I wear out the first I have a back up. I am not kidding you! When I bought the book, I read it ten times in ten days – she floored me. I also like her Oracle’s Moon and Lord’s Fall.
- Nalini Singh’s Guild Hunter series.–Raphael is to die for. Love the story lines.
- Loretta Chase’s Lord of Scoundrels. — Hands down one of the best romance novels I have ever read.
- Lisa Kleypas’s Then Came You and Dreaming of You. — Rank right up there with Chase’s Lord of Scoundrels.
- Linnea Sinclair’s Games of Command. — I like her other books also, but this is my favorite.
- Lisa Marie Rice’s Midnight Angel. — Again, I have read all Lisa Marie’s books, including her Elizabeth Jennings’ books, but this is my favorite.
- Cherise Sinclair’s Breaking Free and The Dom’s Dungeon. — Again I love and adore all her books, but these are my two go-tos.
- And dozens of other books, but the above are the ones I reach for time and time again.
Please share some of yours. I always have time for more books.