As my mother will tell you, I’ve had a few crushes in my time. Some stranger than others.
Now don’t get me wrong, I’m as much attracted to beauty as the next girl. A handsome, buff gentleman brushes past me, and my head turns. It’s a given.
However, sometimes the objects of my affection are a little odd, at least in my opinion. I’ll list a few here and you can tell me if you share these passions, or if you think I’d be better off wearing a straightjacket.
1) Ron Weasley. More particularly, Rupert Grint, who plays Ron in the Harry Potter movies. There’s just something about this gangly redhead with the big lips and infectious grin. I think he’s brilliant in the role, and I’d really like to, ahem, corrupt the boy. He needs a steadfast, older woman in his life, don’t you think?
2) Napoleon Dynamite. I know, I know. This is definitely strange. However, Napoleon is a true rebel. He doesn’t care what others think of him. He wears his moon boots with pride. I love his unruly curls and I also love tater tots. Perhaps I’ll just teach him not to store them in his pocket…
3) George Hamilton in “Love at First Bite.” Does anyone remember how hot Georgie-boy was in this Dracula parody? Does anyone other than me actually remember this movie at all? I’m pretty sure this crush marked the beginning of my love for vampires in pop culture. He was the first sexy vamp, according to me. I was never a Christopher Lee fan…he was too scary to love. George was suave, tanned and wore that cloak well.
4) Nutella. Enough said. You didn’t think I could compile a list of my strange loves without it, did you?
5) Simon le Bon from Duran Duran. Now, I didn’t think this love was strange when I was 15, but now I sure do. What was I thinking? He can’t sing and is a womanizer by all accounts. And clearly John Taylor was always the cutest member of the band, or maybe Roger Taylor, I don’t know. I’ve gotten so old, I can barely recall. Where’s my Nutella and my blankie?
Tell me about your strange loves! Please share so I don’t feel so odd. There must be others like me out there…anyone? Anyone?